Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring Greens


 So as I am sitting here, sipping WATER trying not to think vindictive thoughts about the meal that I am not cooking that is also LATE for the table... I decided to write about a meal that I did cook recently, to stave off what are evolving from pangs to punches of hunger.

So, where was I?  Hard to think straight or type straight when hungry.  Oh right, I was about to give you a recipe!  I made this a little while ago and the fact that I am still touting it as one of the best greens recipes I've had in a while, is saying something.

In the spring, it's greens season.  Lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, kale, and all those other leafy lovelies.  We just planted lettuce and discovered some ravishing spinach that wintered.  It's such a delight finding those small surprises that greet you with a verdant hello.  

But back to the ultimate resolution of greens.  Cooking.  

I found the aforesaid recipe while perusing one of my all time favorite cooking blogs:  Orangette.  Really, the recipes there are astounding!  This scrumptious dish sports Kale, garlic, and chickpeas as its main characters, and though simple in assemblage, the flavors are intense and complex.

Using what greens that happened to be poking through the dirt in our garden (yes, htey do touch dirt people).  They happened to be kale, and they worked ineffably well, though I imagine that this recipe would work with any greens.  Recipes like this are exceptional with greens that have become bitter from too much time in the soil.  Overripe, under picked greens are excellent in a sauté with a little curry.  The bitterness brings out the spice nicely, and rounds out a nice entree with a supportive side-dish.  

We are a family, somewhat redundant, and very committed to local and seasonal eating, which means we do a ton of canning in the summer.  This also means that in the winter, we eat a plethora of greens and stews.  Oh, and potatoes.  But I digress yet again...  The point is that this is a fantastic recipe that livens up the hard, earthy taste of the kale with lovely light chickpeas.  It kind of crunches into the mouth and floats down the throat.  Really, its like magic.


Sautéed Kale with Chickpeas 
Adapted from Molly Wizenberg's Organgette

2 bunches kale--about 1 1/2 lbs total
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Trim kale and wash bunches, you should end up with about a pound.

In a large skillet, warm the olive oil.  Add the garlic and onion and sauté for about 7 minutes.  Add the chickpeas and stir.  Add kale and season with salt then stir and fold gently.  Let the greens cook down a bit as they are large and fluffy.  Cook until leaves are wilted.  Cover, lower the heat, stir every few minutes for about 15 minutes.  Remove the pan form the heat and stir in the lemon juice.

Serve warm.

Yields 6 side-dishes, or 3 main dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment