Friday, June 21, 2013

A New Look


I must say, I am quite a fan of the plantae kingdom.  Especially that which has evolved into leeks.  Yes leeks.  The name really doesn't conjure up lovely pictures of sugarplums dancing in my mind's eye, but my taste buds tell my mind's eye to shut it when roasted leeks dance on their doorstep.

Before this recipe, I had never tried leeks, perhaps for their whitish bottoms.  I was formerly of the school of thought that bleached vegetables were, and I quote, "bad."  Yes, quite the inspired child I was.  However, now with an enlarged vocabulary and a changed opinion, I can honestly state that leeks are utterly awe-inspiring!  Ravishing legumes!  An alluring, enticing vegetable!  So there former self.  I win!

And when the aforesaid awe-inspiring onion derivatives (for that is what a leek is) combine with carrots, olive oil, and an oven, well, let me just say it was sigh-inducing.  My parents were away this weekend, in Staunton, which, in case you didn't know, is local-food heaven!  Probably something to do with the proximity of farms...  Anyway, I was left with my grandparents and little brother!  And with the kitchen clear of the mother unit, I got busy.  Really busy.  I have over 5 recipes from two days.  Though all were excellent, I'm sure you'll be hearing of them soon, this one might be my favorite.

The warmth and tang of the roasted vegetables was hearty juxtaposition with the poached egg, which was quite sharp over the bed of dark earthy greens.  When the yoke ran into the nest of greens, it could have been a Van Gogh painting.  The slight salt of the cheese rounded the whole meal out with a finishing zing, complimenting the elegantly understated green flavors.

The result was filling, yet light.  I didn't feel as if I'd overeaten and yet I didn't want more, which was good because this turned out to be a one serving recipe.  It was a rousing success, and I earned my first-ever cooking compliment from my baking-veteran grandfather, "Carlin certainly knows her way around the kitchen!"  I was touched!



Roasted Leeks and Carrots with Poached eggs, Sautéed Mushrooms and Warm Spinach Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light

The original recipe mixed summer vegetables with winter vegetables, and good seasonal Pagan that I am, I could not in good conscience mix tomatoes into this salad in the dead of winter.  Thus, the carrots and mushrooms wound their way into the recipe, but I certainly am not sorry for the new amalgamation.

3 medium leeks, halved white and light green parts cut into 1-inch chunks
2 cups chopped carrots
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons vinegar
12 cups baby spinach leaves
2 cups sliced mushrooms
splash of olive oil and garlic
3 ounces grated parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degree.  Toss leeks and carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil in bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Spread leeks and carrots on baking sheet and roast 45 minutes, or until golden, turning several times with spatula.

Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, and the rest of the olive oil in a small bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.

In a small frying pan, heat olive oil, chopped garlic and mushrooms.

Fill large skillet with 2 inches of water and add vinegar, and bring to a boil.  Add eggs, reduce heat to medium-lw, and poach eggs 5 minutes.

Toss spinach with mushrooms, leeks, carrots, and dressing in large bowl.  Divide among 4 bowls.  Top with cheese and poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment