Sunday, September 22, 2013

Biography of Lettuce

Being a vegetarian until a more sustainable meat source is viable, the majority of my meals comprise of salad in some capacity.  Thus!  A little story about one of my favorite greens. 


There once was a seed.  His name was lettuce, and he was getting tired of waiting around in a dark pocket with other seeds.  He wanted dark, thick, nutrient-rich soil in which to grow.  He wanted a home. 


One day, a light appeared at the top of the pocket, and two long fleshy things reached down and grasped Lettuce and some of his brothers and sisters.  Lettuce was on his way up in the world.  Up, of course, until he was deposited in the damp, brown earth.  


As soon as he was nestled in his new home, Lettuce began to grow.  He stretched up, and up, and up, unfurling as he looked for that light he had seen the moment of his drop from his mother plant, and the moment he had been lifted from the pocket.  Finally, Lettuce poked out of the soil, and took a deep breath of fresh air.  I was a sprout, he was green, and he was ready to see the world 

I suppose you can guess what happens from there, I wouldn't want to completely write a biography, because then I would have to cite it, and that is a pain.  Long story short, Lettuce is plucked and happier than a pig in mud on my plate into my mouth.  

I'm writing this now, at the end of September because we are just planting our fall greens.  I fully recommend getting some seeds in the ground, in pots that you can put outside on your steps that act as ornaments as well as food.  Seriously!  Get on it people!  These lettuces are lovely in more ways than one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment