Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Apologies apologies...

WELL!  Here I am, a few weeks after my last post, typing frantically trying to keep up with school, scholarships, publishing my next book, practicing violin, and trying to recover from my sparring session last night. 

No excuses.

So!  Let us discuss something interesting!  I'll save the super bowl add for this weekend, I want to do that justice.

I am doing my Gold Award with my school!  The Gold Award is the highest award a girl scout can receive.  It's the equivalent to an Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts. 

I mention it because my service project is four programs with kids from ages 5-10 that educate them on sustainable agriculture. 

I had my first program last week, phew, and my second one is tomorrow!  My high-school helpers run the kids through a power point and make a poster with them that illustrates the theme for that week!

Last week was food mileage, Carbon Footprint if you will.  Our food comes so far to rest on the shelves of our supermarkets.  Really people?  A tomato that is ripe for the hamburgers in July is NOT ripe for the hamburgers in January.  It has probably traveled from its lovely sun in Cali or Italy to your counter (with a layover in a factory where it can be chemically ripened).  This is MILEAGE people!  And every airplane, car, truck, refrigerator, and storage facility that houses these delightful fruits is using energy.  Burning coal.  Making pollution.  Killing our planet.  I don't mean to sound like a complainer, but really, can't we make good choices?  Can't we show a little self-restraint?  I think we can. 

These kids who are learning from my Gold Award will hopefully take this idea with them when I am done.  I hope you, dear reader, will too!




A picture of our zucchini relish.  I'll write about it in August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment